Saturday, September 27, 2008

Ladybird Wildflower Center

Ladybird Wildflower Center is one of my favorite places in Austin. I dropped Dan at work and headed south for another free admission day. Cheapskate, I know, but one day I will be able to give back. Wandering around alone in this place is inevitable. Even if I were with a group of 20 I could find myself drifting off in a plant and architecture induced trance. Those archways are beautiful AND functional - they help transport the rainwater caught from the roof to the 12,000 gallon cistern, part of their "rain-harvesting operation".

I went off on one of the property's trails toward the windmill. I snapped an awful pic but it shows my new haircut.

At the trail head a sign warns you of rattlesnakes and cougars!! I also happened upon some crazy wildlife. I intently watched as this red-striped ribbon snake darted around a mini-pond trying to catch a frog.

Then I did a 180 and watched this female orb-weaver of some sort wrap up some of her catch.

I stayed there until I almost dried out from the sun and had to leave for a drink of water. Twas a beautiful day!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am a fan of your new hair!!!