Monday, August 25, 2008

Fall has begun

Well, today was the first day of classes for me. In reality I was home all day. This morning I became oriented with my two online courses for this semester: Human Growth and Development, Introduction to Speech. Odd that a speech communication course is online, right? I read all of both syllabi and played around with the online class application called Blackboard. This is my first experience using Blackboard. At TCNJ we used SOCS and at NC State we used WebCT which is now owned by Blackboard. Interesting the tools we have here as American students. I did a study abroad course in Ireland 3 years ago. The professors there did not require you to buy textbooks, there were plenty copies in the library. You also did not have to own a computer. In fact, many did not. I realize it's not required of an American college student, but it's expected. In Ireland, the teacher's did not post their lectures ahead of time online in order for the students to print out slides and take notes. No, some lectureres still used transparencies and overhead projectors! And chalk!

So anyway, tomorrow I will attend the first actual class on a campus - Human Anatomy Lab and Lecture. I am looking forward to this course immensely. I rocked the HS version of this class. It's not the same, but I've also been brushing up on my body parts by watching bloody ER and surgery TV shows. I learn from the TV!

So other than that news in my life, I've lately been working towards a new goal: 100 pushups! I am not very far along, currently starting week 2. I can surprisingly feel a difference in my arms already. My shoulders are hard when you poke them even if I'm not flexing. Hooray!

Anyhow, I look forward to getting into the mix of things this semester!

No comments: